Blog 3: This Is Not a Moment. It’s the Millerite Movement.
For my blog post this week, I wrote a parody of the opening song in Hamilton, “Alexander Hamilton,” based on the early life of William Miller, the originator of the Millerite movement. I wanted to know: what in the world happened in Miller’s childhood that traumatized him so much that he felt compelled to create an “end of the world” movement as a part of his ministry? And why did people believe him?
In the wise words of Busta Rhymes, “Hip-hop reflects the truth, and the problem is that hip-hop exposes a lot of the negative truth that society tries to conceal.” So what’s the truth about William Miller? Let’s use rap to find out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lights up on CAPTAIN MILLER, SR. and WILLIAM MILLER, mid-conversation. The rhythm picks up, echoing the cadence of Hamilton. COMPANY stands at different levels on construction scaffolding, resembling a partially built church chapel. Spotlights hit each member in turn as they narrate WILLIAM MILLER’s story.
[CAPTAIN MILLER, SR.]
What’s your name, man?
[WILLIAM MILLER]
Will-i-am Mi-i-ller
I am the founder of the Millerites
And there's a MILLION things Christ hasn’t done
So just you wait, just you wait
[LUCY SMITH]
When he was young, he loved to read, persistent, literary
Born in Massachusetts, was the eldest in his family
His dad hated the way he used to read, the books thick
[FULL COMPANY except MILLER]
Young Miller found knowledge in those borrowed books, quick
[POULTNEY PRINCIPAL MEN & TOWNSPEOPLE]
Married Lucy Smith; Farmer father helped him get a job
Made him constable and deputy, a justice of the peace
A voice sayin', "Willy, you gotta fight in the war"
He chose to enlist in it and fought in the War of 1812
[CAPTAIN MILLER, SR. & COMPANY]
Returned from the war a different man, the injury changed his head
He shoulda been dead, but then the battle brought him back to his religion
Once a Deist, gave up his Baptist heritage
But fightin’ in the army showed him God was with him again
Moved back to Low Hampton, bought two hundred acres of land
Plannin’ for his future, scared of death, but he stood in
The pulpit of the chapel, built with his own hands
From Deist back to Baptist, tried to be a new man
[WILLIAM MILLER]
In New York, I can be a new man[COMPANY & MILLER]
In New York, you can be a new man (Just you wait)
In New York, Christ can make us new men
[CHRISTIANS]
In New York (New York)
[MILLER]
Just you wait!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Besides hip-hop’s magical truth-finding properties, I chose to write this parody rap song to study the chronology of Miller’s life more deeply. And who was the first historical figure I thought of who also experienced trauma as a young boy and inspired hundreds of thousands of people to believe in him? Alexander Hamilton, the subject of the musical Hamilton.
In my time studying Miller, I found many similarities between the two men. For one, they both loved to read. Secondly, they wanted to fight in a war to prove themselves as heroic soldiers. And thirdly, both of their identities shifted dramatically at some point, shaping the rest of their lives: Hamilton in his rise from poverty into politics, and Miller in his numerous shifts in faith, from Baptist to Deism to Baptist again.
Writing this parody gave me much joy. I realized that creatively reframing historical events brings details to life that I would otherwise overlook. It’s funny how spitting bars can make you really immerse yourself in historical stories. Connecting intricate details from Miller’s life into a story-rap hybrid based on a musical I’ve been obsessed with since middle school really made our class readings come to life in my head.
But I dealt with challenges, of course, as all rappers do. For example, incorporating those complex details (e.g., the private libraries Miller had access to, or the time he found God on the battlefield) into this tight, Hamilton-style rhythm was particularly difficult. Also challenging? Getting the historical order of events correct. In one of my drafts, I nearly made Miller a post-concussion fanatical Deist when, in fact, he only went off the rails when he came back from the war and started thinking about death. Midlife crisis, am I right?
Though my reflection rap does not delve into Miller’s journey to becoming the founder of the Millerites, I imagine many musicals could be written about this feat. Studying the early life of this historical figure has helped me understand how even this informally educated religious fanatic can start a movement that would eventually disappoint a hundred thousand people. And if Miller’s back-and-forth with faith can snowball into the Great Disappointment, imagine how many other societal changes have started with a little bit of obsession and a lot of stubbornness. (Cough, Alexander Hamilton, cough.)
References
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005354/quotes/
https://www.gci.org/articles/the-great-disappointment/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Miller_(preacher)
https://newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/william-miller-convinced-thousands-millerites-world-end
this is such a great and creative blog--Thanks! I loved the song and the whole idea of a Millelrite musical. But I admire your discussion comparing Miller and Hamiltan even more. thanks for taking the time to be thoughtful.
ReplyDelete